Stereo Propaganda-Reaping The Imaginal Space

Race, Identity, Creativity, and Other Matters

Sunday, August 27, 2006


Changing Skin

It was only a short time ago that I was devastated by the death of my dog Marilyn. She was truly a gift. Marilyn came to me out of nowhere and at a most difficult time in my life. I had just separated from my ex-husband. Marilyn and I were together a short seven years but she provided a lifetime of joy. Pets are like that.

Since Marilyn's death, I have been in a melancholy state. Melancholy is like an unwanted skin. It itches and irritates but is a necessary part of life and grieving.

Although my sister and I visited the Atlanta Humane Society on several different occassions. We could not agree on a dog. After the last visit, I gave up and took to entertaining myself with the birdfeeder and our fish. I decided that she should find a dog.

On Friday, my sister announced that she was going to the Humane Society once again. I paced the floor. She called twice and informed me that she found a dog that she liked. I quite frankly did not care what kind of dog she brought home. I just wanted a dog. Lo and behold she arrived with Grainger. What a great dog! He's a Golden Retriever and Chow mix (check out his tongue) and all smiles. He was given up because he chased horses. I think that Marilyn sent him to us (I sent prayers). Like Marilyn he has a beautiful temperament and is very well mannered. My sis made a wonderful choice.

Sooooooooo. I've shed my melacholy skin and donned a happier one. I'll always love my Marilyn. Her place in my heart is insured. But I am so happy to have another dog to love and to love me back:-D.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home